Ground has broken for development of The Redfern.
Situated in historic Oak Bay village, this project has been carefully planned to bring modern design sensibility to an established neighbourhood—without overwhelming the character of this picturesque community.
This thoughtfully designed building will compliment the historic village community, bringing 35 homes to families in the Oak Bay area. We worked hard to ensure that the project would compliment the residential neighbourhood needs while providing new ways to connect. The building design includes several street-level retail spaces, as well as a cafe featuring patio seating.
Some details about The Redfern:
- Building lobby features a wood-clad ‘portal’ with extensive glazing to clearly identify the primary building entrance.
- Four retail spaces are featured at ground-level, including a café (with patio) to add to the community.
- Cementitious panel cladding, clear glazing, painted steel and wood are the primary materials meant to weather gracefully.
- Building features art panels, wood tone on shade screens and on soffits to create a visually tactile warmth.
- Underground parking will provide 47 stalls for 35 homes to alleviate parking congestion.
- Electric vehicle and bicycle charging stations on site, as well as bike work bench and storage.
- Natural and recyclable building materials, and where possible materials will be sourced within 800km of the site.
- Building features energy efficient fixtures, appliances and windows throughout.
- Natural daylight is optimized through interior design efforts.